Every act of detoxification takes a toll on the system. So according to the science of Ayurveda detoxification during the colder months is never done!
First of all the effect of cold on the body makes the entire process of detoxification a lot harder, plus as cold also takes a toll on our system, detoxing is not advised to be done during a period that is more trying for our system.
But there is always a little trick, a tiny little exception when it come to eastern medicine!
There are a few spices and herbs that have a rather special effect on our bodies. The effect is detoxing in nature, but not in the usual way. They actually increase our power of digestion to the extent where our system becomes able to burn away the impurities stored in the body. So instead of getting rid of them through fasts, purgation or other such methods, the toxins are burned away!
The spices and herbs are as follows:
- Bay leaves, in India it is also added into sweet rice and other milky sweets.
- Black pepper, and also long pepper, as they belong to the same family of plants.
- Cumin practically used in almost every dish in Ayurvedic cooking.
- Fenugreek can be used as spice, but it can be made into tea as well.
- Ginger, and also Turmeric, as they belong to the same family of plants.
Om Tat Sat